Friday, August 28, 2009

homeschooling - week 1

Samantha still loves the sandbox. Her imaginative, creative, pretend play has matured so much this summer. She now brings me cups and bowls of sand and motions to me to drink or eat. She is feeding stuffed animals and baby dolls, comforting babies, going "places" just like her sisters . . . it's been great to watch this emerge, as always, and see that she is now included so much in her sisters' play.
This is Monday, August 24, our first day of kindergarten. Before going outside, we had worked on math and handwriting, saving history and reading for later. But, it was not enough! After riding her bike and playing a little while, she asked, "Mom, can't I bring my math outside and do more? I will get Samantha's little pink chair and table and bring them outside." Oh my! The week has been like this: she completed 32 lessons in math! (There are only 160 in the year!) and much more handwriting and reading than I planned. On Tuesday, she said, "Mom, I want to home school first grade too." Well, one year at a time.
This is what Lucy thought of the day . . . she needed a break! I really love watching her little personality and disposition emerge. Most days, I am surprised by her! But, one thing is certain: she adores both her sisters!
My greatest challenge, as I planned for Anna Kate's school day, has been the two little girls. What will they do so that I can teach Anna Kate? And how will I structure our day so everyone gets the time and attention they need? Thanks, especially to a friend who is one year ahead of us, I learned about preschool activity bags. I gathered our more educational toys together and put them up for school time - that way, they seem new to them. But I am also creating some.
So, how did everyone stay happy and busy together on this day? Rice! Seriously. Rice! I had an I Spy bottle filled with rice and lots of little things to find, as you turn the bottle. Then, we had rice in bowls with cups and scoops and spoons and things to hide. It was incredible how long they enjoyed themselves!
As a side note, let me say, I would do these bags even if we weren't homeschooling, especially living in a place where we do spend many of our days inside. They are inexpensive to put together, which means that we can have new and different things (much more exciting than the same old indoor activities!) to do all the time. I told Dave, "I wish I had thought of this when Anna Kate was little. All those snowy, cold days spent inside working to find something to do!" So, for moms of little ones who need something to do, these are great fun!

2 comments:

Spicy Magnolia said...

What fun! Anna Kate is such a little student. :)

Was there a website you found good info on the activity bags?

Barb and Andy said...

we may need to trade some tips! keeping the little people engaged in something, anything, while i'm doing school is a daily occurrence.